Pulling in the driveway, it catches my eye; the vertical sign with the simple word, “HOME”. Strategically placed at the entrance of the garage, it greets me each time I return home, prompting a smile. Though arriving home is the highlight of my days now, until I learned the art of bringing Joy home, I had mixed emotions.
As women, we influence the atmosphere of our homes, and creating a joyful home provides a welcoming experience for everyone. But a welcoming environment provides only one benefit. Joyful surroundings foster more energy, creativity and security.
Welcome to Mindfulness Monday! Where we learn some easy ways to be more present “in the moment” at our jobs, in our homes, with our families and friends.
Learning to recognize God and what He has for us in each divine moment He offers. We acknowledge the belief that God is with us always.
We confess His presence is available to us, lifting our spirit and helping us with power and grace. Learning the art of “stillness” so we can hear His voice and view ourselves, others and our surroundings through His eyes.
a joyful home life
Summer offers a great time for building new habits and pursuing Joy. This month for Mindfulness Monday we are exploring ways of pursuing and sharing Joy. This week’s focus keeps us present living Joy in our homes.
A joyful home reflects the Fruit of the Spirit at work in every member of the family.
Considering the components of a joyful home, the presence of Joy includes the presence of love, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, self-control and meekness. A joyful home exhibits God’s character fully through the Fruit of the Spirit.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.Psalm 16:11
a joy-filled heart = a joy-filled home
On my Joy Journey in 2021 one lesson became clear: Joy flows from the inside out. As a Fruit of the Spirit and the very nature of God, Joy is a gift I possess within my spiritual man. Bringing Joy home begins with examining my heart.
Though not something I “choose”, Joy’s reflection in my life, home and actions stems from pursuing a vibrant relationship with the One in whose Presence the fullness of Joy resides.
Spending time in God’s Presence, diligently seeking His ways, fills my heart’s joy reserves to overflowing. As I allow Joy to freely flow through me, it transforms me, my family and my home.
Bringing Joy Home
Bringing Joy home not only impacts your comfort and well-being at home, but it improves your mental and spiritual health. As you examine your heart and surroundings, coupled with your manner of engagement with others; ways of incorporating more Joy into every area abound.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.Romans 15:13
Bringing Joy to Your Heart
Joy flows from the inside out. Bringing Joy home first involves filling your heart with the Joy of the Lord.
- Draw near to God. Seek the fullness of Joy in God’s Presence daily. Journal the ways He reveals Joy to you each day.
- Ask for Joy. God desires that our Joy be full. (John 15:11) Ask Him to increase your Joy, to supply the lack of Joy you feel.
- Practice gratitude. Nothing ignites Joy more than gratitude. Need more Joy? celebrate God’s goodness in all you have.
- Worship God. Sing praises to the Most High God-create a Joy Playlist.
Bringing joy to your surroundings
Be intentional about the things displayed around your home; keep only those things which provide joyful memories, inspiration and well-being.
- Declutter. Before you can add or rearrange your surroundings-declutter. Mental Health experts agree, clutter not only causes anxiety, but sabotages peace. Store, donate, or trash items no longer used or which contribute nothing to joyful surroundings.
- Discard items from the painful past. Photographs and decor evoke emotion. Once I removed items from my past, I was amazed at the improvement in my mental and emotional health. While painful to discard old photos or items, think of the daily pain you inflict by keeping them.
- Display joy provoking decor. Whether you collect items, or simply enjoy seeing certain colors, art, memorabilia, or quirky antiques; display decor wich makes you smile.
- Display inspirational decor. Word decor is popular: plaques large and small, chalkboards, quote exhibiting art, all contribute to joy. Knowing the power of subliminal suggestion, I keep numerous inspirational decor signs around my home.
- Delight in nature. Creation shows forth God’s glory, reminding us of His Presence. Fresh flowers and houseplants provide an easy way for bringing nature indoors. But seashell collections, leaf artwork, pine cones, and rocks add beautiful decor accents. And nothing beats natural light-remove heavy draperies and let the sun shine!
Joy is who you are. It is the magic that reaches out from you and touches others.Jack Armstrong
bringing joy to your people
The method with which we engage family, friends, even strangers, who visit our homes impacts the level of Joy within our homes.
- Love intentionally. Where Joy lives, you also find kindness, gentleness, patience and love. Love well, love big. Speak words of love to each other often. Demonstrate love through acts of kindness and service.
- Laugh luxuriantly. Joy becomes contagious in the midst of laughter. I love to laugh, but I grew up in a home where laughter was viewed as silly nonsense. Laughter shared creates a bond of Joy.
- Live spontaneously. Celebrate the mundane moments, picnic on the floor or in the backyard, have movie night on Monday instead of Friday. Dance in the kitchen after school and take time for impromtu conversations. Life happens in the inbetween.
- Linger in the Presence of God. Ponder or memorize Bible verses together, share the attributes of God you find in your days, or stargaze one evening.
when joy comes home
Cultivating a joy-filled home breathes life into every member of the family. Providing a haven from the hard and unkind of daily life, it speaks the language of love, laughter, and service. Offering joy-filled memories, and a soothing sanctuary filled with inspiration and the glories of creation.
Crowned with the pursuit of the One and only source of all true Joy, honoring His Presence brings Joy home to our hearts. I would love to hear how you are bringing Joy home in comments!